Here at Newbie, we have a special design story for each of our collections. Each pattern and print is hand-illustrated in our Head Office in Sweden and each collection’s colour palette is carefully chosen by the designers. They choose colours and themes inspired by nature to help keep collections timeless from season to season and so that pieces can mixed and matched and worn again and again.
To celebrate the launch of our brand new AW18 collections; Shanghai Garden and Aviator we grabbed 5 minutes and 6 questions with Sofia, one of the brilliant Designers behind our Newbie clothes.
1. What inspired you for the Shanghai Garden collection?
I was mainly inspired by Cherry Blossoms and Eastern Gardens. I found a very inspiring old picture of a Japanese wallpaper, which contains the dark blue colour combined with light lilac. The colour story came from that picture.
2. What 3 words would you use to describe the Shanghai Garden collection?
Cherry blossom, dark blue colour and romantic details.
3. What inspired you for the designs in the Aviator collection?
The inspiration came, as it frequently does, from old pictures. Nostalgic photos and drawings of aeroplanes from around 1920. I also added more aircrafts such as hot air balloons, which I think makes a playful print story for boys.
4. What 3 words would you use to describe the Aviator collection?
Nostalgia, aircrafts and blue colour tones.
5. Which Newbie prints have been your favourites to design and why?
I am really fond of the hot air balloons, especially the white body with printed balloons with both blue and red tones added. That print is colourful in a soft and playful way.
6. Which pieces can you mix and match with the existing collections and basics?
Navy blue or grey melange basic leggings with a button fly